Wednesday, November 9, 2016

the day donald trump was elected president of the united states of america


I remembered the night of the first presidential debate. I was at my in-laws' house, and my father-in-law had it on the television. I remember the shock I felt when I saw Donald Trump on the stage. I literally asked aloud, "He isn't really running for president, is he?" My dad would watch "The Apprentice" all the time. I thought he was such a jerk on that show. I thought his daughter had absolutely no personality. I also remember seeing Hillary Clinton on the stage for the debate. I thought to myself, "She might actually win. We might have a woman president." At first I was excited at the idea, then I saw her platform and her background. I immediately became terrified to have her as America's first woman president. I didn't want her to be the face of the American women with no morals and no conscience.

I know I'll make a lot of people mad by saying this, but I feel as though America made her bed, and now she needs to lie in it. According to Glenn Beck, 60 percent of Trump voters didn't like the fact that they were voting for him, and 54 percent of Clinton voters didn't like that they were voting for her. Why would American citizens use their voting power to vote for someone they don't like? To despise the other? Out of fear of the other candidate? If we would have voted for the candidate we deemed the most worthy of presidency we would have had something very different to watch last night.

There are a lot of upset Americans today. The truth is, if a high percentage of Americans were willing to vote for Donald Trump just to keep Hillary Clinton out of the White House you have to see that reflect on her as a candidate. I have no fear, however. America is strong. If we can survive two years shy of a decade with Barack Obama at the head, we can make it through four years with Donald Trump. We live in a country with many checks and balances, and for that I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment